Wednesday 6 June 2012

Day 1

I am sitting on a sun lounger in the shade of some trees next to the pool drinking a beer at about 3 in the afternoon. Life is tough. This year is going to SUCK!!
Oh I am also pretty sure that these blog posts are going to be getting less frequent as 1) I get more used to the heat and don't feel like just slugging around the pool all afternoon and 2) when I actually start work.

So first day in Bali:
The flight from Seoul was one of the most turbulent I have ever been on, I pretty much had the entire opening plane scene from Lost going through my head the whole time and kept expecting the plane to snap in two and send me (and everyone else) pummeling to our deaths or for the "lucky" few a safe haven on a tropical island with a smoke monster and an "Initiative" of some kind, not to mention Josh Holloway.

 But alas we landed safely on a tropical island where in my overtired and jetlagged state I got completely fleeced on a taxi to my hotel. But the driver was nice and negotiated the ridiculous rush hour traffic without killing me and delivered me at my hotel, where at 7pm and after 38 hours I was ready to crash the fuck out but I can't just go to bed straight away can I? NOOOO!! I ventured out into the wilds of Sanur- well to the restaurant up the street and listened to a Balinese man sing covers of easy listening classics. Amazingly awful and great at the same time. I came home and promptly crashed, then I woke up at about 4am. (Stupid jetlag). But on the plus side I got to see the sun come up and the plethora of tiny lizards scrambling over the walls outside. As long as those little buggers stay outside we are going to get along juuuust fine. I attempted to talk to the girl who has the room next to mine this morning- simple questions like "Do you know anywhere good to eat breakfast?" and the response I got was "We are leaving today". Who answers that? I was asking for breakfast suggestions not for you to be the bridesmaid at my wedding!

One thing that I noticed after that is that the majority of people staying at this place are older. Maybe it's just that the people my age-ish weren't awake at 7:30am?? That said it is kind of nice to just chill out and read my book by the pool after the hectic last few weeks I've had. Oh I am so hard done by :p

After my excellent breakfast, of so fresh fruit and toast at the Mona Lisa cafe, I decided to go for a walk to the beach before it got too hot. Walking down the main drag I was accosted by every shopkeeper and taxi driver that passed me. I have already become immune to the sounds of "Taxi? Transport?" or "Come see my  shooop" or the random beeps that taxi drivers will give you so if you look up or acknowledge them in some way it clearly means to want their services. Finally I made it to the beach where after looking at the same map a middle aged woman from Florida started talking to me. Seriously, I need to use these excellent social skills for making some friends or meeting people my own age. But I am afraid they will judge and ridicule me ...............hahahahahahaah.

I made some "friends" within the local merchant population and I was promised that I will get the best rate on any boat to any of the surrounding islands and kite boarding. I felt special until I heard the same offer made to the next whiteys behind me. I am totally kidding.

 Well I'm off because I don't think that you want to hear what I had for lunch....Nasi Goreng if you must ask. Can I just say that I like the amount of satay sauce everything has with it here. I'm going mostly because I am sick of swatting ants of my keyboard and picking them out of my shorts AND because there is the cutest puppy ever that I want to play with. (Pictures to follow).

Peace out. x


No comments:

Post a Comment