Friday 8 June 2012

Second verse same as the first


Day 2 began much like day one did- waking up at the crack of dawn covered in sweat and wishing that my school had sprung for the room with aircon. But alas it's not all great, sleeping with AC on is really REALLY cold. Did the usual breakfast- I am trying to eat at a different place everyday- and then hang out for a bit.

My big chore of yesterday was to go have a meeting at my new school- my driver out there was convinced that he should be my driver for the entire year that I am here and gave me his number and told me under any circumstances I can call him and say "Gusti, come back" and he will drop whatever he is doing and come running. I don't know how I feel about that level of power over someone's life. He was also reluctant to let me go in to the school with out a guarantee that I would call him. I feel bad that I don't have driver loyalty yet.......

I was a little bit early for my meeting at school so was resigned to sitting in the thankfully air-conditioned lobby where I got a look at my new co-workers. Thankfully most of them are 20-30 somethings, more than likely doing the same thing that I am doing and just trying to earn some money to fund their trip in paradise.
One guy that stuck out is the American guy who walked in from outside and said, "Swear a lot in the meeting and you will do great"...Thanks bud. Then a few minutes he walked past again and this time his stellar advice was to "Make lots of racist and anti-Semitic comments and they will love you". To which my answer was, "I'll be sure to do all of that, thanks for the advice". He just smiled and walked away.
 Now, there is hotly contested debate between whether he's a douche or was just joking or was a douche who was joking. Only time will tell.

The meeting itself was pretty standard- this is what you will be doing, when, where etc. How to find a place to live, bank account, free trip to Singapore to get my work visa. I am excited for this part :D
I start training on Monday to Wednesday because then I am "technically" not working and the Thursday get to do my Visa run to Singapore. Then I start actual work. EEEK!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me, friends. I will let you know how it goes.

On the living arrangements front I am pretty sure that I found somewhere to live already, it's in a complex of studio apartments and is about $150 a month. It's pretty basic but it'll totally do for the next few weeks and if I find somewhere else or get a better offer I can always move out. It's about a 10 min walk away from my school but in 40 degree heat a 10 min walk feels A LOT longer. Which I figured out walking back to the main road to get a taxi back to the hotel. I just realized to my great sadness that the place that I am moving into doesn't have a pool!!! NOOOOOO!!! It does have a huge front porch though, maybe I can get a paddling pool out there?

After my mid-afternoon of sunning myself by the pool I decided to actually do something productive and walked the other way on the beachfront pathway (which I now knows goes on for about 5km from where I started walking). Now the quick way to get to the beach is to cut through one of the BIG beachfront hotels. Some of them are a lot better at letting people walking through their ground than others- believe me I know! I found that out the hard way. I finally found one that didn't have a guard in the little hut thing and walked through...sneaky Kate.
Along my walk I made friends with a kitesurfing instructor called Arta who had been to Canada a few years ago when he was working on a cruise ship that went to Quebec. I almost called him on it but it took me a minute to realize that the ships could go down the St. Lawrence. I fully trust Arta with my life from our 5 minute conversation and am probably going to go kitesurfing at some point. He seemed to be impressed that I am going to be here for a year so will have loads of time to kitesurf. I also made "friends" with some massage, mani/pedi ladies who kindly insulted my toenail polish- They didn't seem impressed with the fact that I have had it on for a few weeks. They told me to come back and they will make me look really good for my husband........ :s So now I need to get married before I go get my nails done...SHIT!

Nothing else really eventful happened yesterday night........I went for dinner and went to bed...
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment