Monday 11 June 2012

Just another day for me and you in paradise

Well well well...I have been slacking on my blogging haven't I? To be honest I am waiting for interesting things to happen so you don't get day after day of "Today I ate food and pooped", (my mom is going to yell at me for saying pooped but HEY LADY! We all do it).

So what has happened since I last blogged:

I went for dinner at Tyra's house. I still felt like absolute crap but it was nice to get out of the same few streets that I had been haunting for those last few days. The taxi driver seemed very nervous and confused that I wanted to go to a non-touristy part of town and got stupidly lost (but it was still cheaper than the incredibly roundabout way that the driver on the way back took- I'm not even from here and I know that that was the roundabout way). But I digress.....Yes dinner. Tyra's partner is Balinese so they cooked Balinese food for dinner and it was my first non-restaurant meal and it was AMAZING!! Other than the amazing food and finding out that we all don't hate each other, nothing of any real interest happened that night.

The next day on the other hand:

On Saturday, I had my last day (hopefully just for now) living at the beach. My time at the lovely Little Pond Homestay was sadly coming to an end- God I miss that pool!! and I had to move further afield into the city where the breeze is warmer and the rents are cheaper. But thankfully I only am about a 10 min drive from the beach.
I found my little 2 room and a porch piece of Bali and so far I am pretty happy with it. The guy who is in charge of the complex but not the owner! was friendly and hospitable. He even took my money and went off to get me a key cut because he had lost the spare. Yes, I was feeling so crappy that day that I let a stranger walk away with my money and a promise. But before you worry about poor little Kate I already had my stuff inside the apartment and my laptop raring to go. Damn, I love free wifi.
  Thankfully Tyra and Gede were coming over to help me get stuff sorted out like a phone and whatnot so Gede worked his Balinese magic and asked the housekeeper? if there was any way to get in contact with the guy who was getting the key. Her answer, I am pretty sure from the look on her face, was " What the fuck are you taking about? We didn't lose the spare. I have it" and promptly walked off to get it.

With my belongings safely locked inside we were able to start our adventure for the day: GET KATE A PHONE. Which apparently if you don't have a local with you can be a bit of an ordeal but again Gede to the rescue. He was in there like a Balinese phone ninja- I need a phone, what phone, that phone, okay, done!
Then we go to celebrate my new phone and my one contact with an adventure to Tanah Lot.

Tanah Lot is a temple that is built on a rock that is in the sea. It is very pretty, very hot and very crowded. But totally worth it. It's really funny because if it was in Canada there would have been signs everywhere saying that the rocks were slippery, please don't run, please don't climb etc in the hopes that they can avoid a lawsuit. I think Bali and probably Indonesia as a whole hold true to the idea, "If you are stupid enough to do it, you probably deserved it". And I wholeheartedly agree with this idea. The one and only safety sign that I saw in the whole place was out on the far point of a rock cliff and it said "No Entry". Might I add that there is nothing beneath this cliff but jagged rocks and the ocean.

Being that touristy really makes your appetite grow so we ended up at one of their fave restaurants to take newbies or visitors and I was not sad about this choice. Who doesn't love eating barbequed fresh seafood on the beach? Especially when you can get the seafood platter for about $6 -and it's one of the most expensive things on the menu. So we are sitting there enjoying our meals with the cool ocean breeze and the occasional visit from the stray cats and dogs that live around and in the temple next to the restaurant. Apparently the restaurant "owns" some of the dogs and kindly asks it's patrons not to feed them as they are well cared for.
Yes if anyone comes and visits we can go to the cheapest seafood BBQ in the west.....actually there are probably cheaper ones but I like this place.

So after a day of actually doing stuff I was understandably sleepy so I came home and pooped and went to bed (Take that Mom xx).

No comments:

Post a Comment